Pages

Sunday 12 January 2014

Get more smarter

Where to begin?

With regards to this blog, I don't know. With regards to the internet, I don't know. My capacity to use the internet is fairly limited and I can't seem to find good websites on my own. I can only do what I have been instructed about. I've enjoyed using all of the websites that I've learned about in ICT and feel that this course is necessary for me to keep up with the techies (next generation). The technological revolution is rapidly progressive and non-ending. The amount of change that has happened in the last 8 years (when I graduated) is absurd. From my parents generation to mine, we had advancements such a typing, basic computers, and dial-up internet. I never used the internet more than 5 in my high school career, at least for the purposes of research. Now, I don't know how I would get by without it!

When I was in high school, cell phones were strictly for the purposes of calling and most of us didn't waste our 'pay-as-you-go' minutes, so most conversations took place on the phone or via msn. I wrote letters to old friends from camp in high school. I was there for the birth of those spammy chain forward letters (which, even then, I was skeptical of- though I'm sure I still sent them... 'just in case').

In addition to me needing to improve my internet skills, I really enjoy impressing my students. I don't want to be a 26 year-old dino of a teacher that needs help turning the google machine on. I'm pretty sure that I thought, at one point in my life, that I would come to a point in my life where I would stop learning and instead pass on my wisdom.

I've come to realize that that point does not exist.
With regards to technology and the internet, educators must change with the world or have the world change without them.

4 comments:

  1. Welcome back Kate - a new adventure this term!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also don't want to be a 26- year old dino of a teacher kate. I really don't. Let us learn together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to second the fear of being rendered a dinosaur. While I'm fairly proficient with the Internet personally, there are a lot of things that I'm well behind the times on- I don't even have a smartphone right now!

    I think, though, that one of the best things you can do is just acknowledge that you're not an expert and do your best to learn what you need. You don't need to be a master of all technology, but you need to be open to new ideas.

    You being the universal 'you' of course.

    I look forward to learning with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to 'third' the dinosaur feeling. I am quite behind when it comes to using technology in the classroom. I am not afraid of it, rather I don't have the experience of using it. I am sure that I will use it in my classroom, I just haven't figured out how. I will say that I have learned quite a bit of technology information from Mike and the two classes I have taken with him during my time at BU, and will hopefully be able to use most of them when I am teaching.

    ReplyDelete