Pages

Thursday 20 February 2014

Upcoming Graduation

I am struggling oh-so-much to remain motivated for the final days of the semester. I feel terrible, because I mean no disrespect to my professors or the courses they teach and I know the information is valuable, but..... I have been on the student side of the desk for almost 22 of my 26 years (kick ass diploma from Pre-K, which obviously counts as a year of education). I'm almost out of juice. I want to have a job where I feel as though me being there is actually making a difference. Not my being there means you will get your drink in a reasonable amount of time with a smile.

-Here's where I start bragging about my basketball team-

I love my team. I've always loved being a part of a team. I put 10x the effort into coaching my team than I do any of my classes. My classes are meant to facilitate my learning and the assignments are meant to support them. Speaking of which, my most valuable assignment to date came from Mike's ICT class- the website. I made a coaching website. Coach Kate Lives Here. Through parent contribution (and having attained a signed media release, allowing me to post pictures of the team), I have compiled over 150 team pictures. I continue to work on this assignment, because it means something to me. I have poured hours into this website- none of which felt like work. Student teaching, even though there is way more grunt work associated with it, did not feel like work to me- coming in on the weekends, planning my next day, etc. Yes, things got stressful, but it's for the kids and I liked 95% of my students, therefore, it wasn't work. That's how I know I'm going to be a great teacher and th

at I am meant to be a teacher. The old adage says, "Find a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life." But I can't forget, only I know this. I still need to prove myself to my professors and potential employers out there. Now, my team receives so much of my attention, because they work so hard for and they deserve it. We should be going to Provincials this year (play offs Monday!) and the dates conflict with student teaching. Fortunately, I can make up the two days elsewhere. Had that not panned out, I was prepared to go full-steam ahead no regrets and make it happen. By any means necessary- even if it meant a later graduation. I've beat into my girls all season that if you start something, you finish it.

Message to Kate: You started your Ed Degree, now do your assignments, and finish it! 

ALMOST THERE!!!!!

Ps. I still love FaceSwap. I think I'd make one helluva good-looking guy.


3 comments:

  1. Hey Kate, I loved this post! I am also happy to hear that the website assignment was so valuable - I am going to go back and take a peak at it again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the post Kate! The face swap made my Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate,

    1) You'd be a much better looking guy if you smiled that beautiful smile of yours! 2) Many of the comments you made here mimic the thoughts inside my own head. I, too, am SO ready to be done (though I also mean no disrespect to my professors). I can't wait to get out and teach the way I want to teach, and continue working on my own ICT website when it has the meaningful content of actual students and actual classes to fill it :)

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete