Pages

Friday 21 February 2014

Web-Based App



I'm not sure how many of you have checked out Lumosity, but I have an I, actually really like it. It has many different games and you can get a reasonable, but limited, profile for free. I have heard that the 'brain-training' it accomplishes may only be skill at that particular game/activity. I think it would be a good excuse reason to play games brain train in class. If I were in a one-to-one division, I would use the free version of the app for 5 minutes brain-training-breaks. Something to break up the class itself. 

There is a raindrop math game that I have used in the past to beef up my mental math skills before my summer job starts up (beverage cart- lots of adding and making change only in your head). It does work for improving mental math- no questions asked. 

To have success at the game you must successfully answer the math question that is in the raindrop before it hits the water. It starts slow with 1-3 raindrops slowly falling and as you continue to achieve success, it speeds up both in the rate of fall and number of drops. I saw major improvements in my own scores in a short period of time. It tells you your percentage correct without pressure (slow drops) and under pressure (lots of drops, quickly falling). This was good for my job as there is a sense of urgency surrounding my mental math abilities!

Check it out and let me know your thoughts!

1 comment:

  1. Lumosity is a phenomenal site! I use it all of the time. As I am getting older, I feel like I am using my brain less often. This site makes me feel a bit better about sitting around on the computer. I had only heard good things so I tried it myself. I really like that it works toward retaining information, attention and memory, rather than just piling new information into your brain. Great find Kate!

    ReplyDelete