Pages

Friday 21 February 2014

Using Online Videos in the Classroom

I LOVE using video in the classroom- probably, because I love to learn that way! Kids have been really responsive to certain videos that I have used.

I always make sure to give the kids a link or the title of the video (I usually use YouTube) so that they can check it out when they're studying. My grade nine science class responded really well with most of them making note of the titles and many telling me that they had used them.

The first video that I'm sharing is a TedEd video that I found on YouTube and used for the Genetics unit of grade nine science and it went over really well with the kids.

How Mendel's pea plants helped us understand genetics

With the same grade nine classes, we used video and song to learn the periodic table. As my CT had them write little quizzes (formative assessments) on the elements (straight memorization), we used videos similar to Sheldon's chemistry song except they went in order. We used videos that allowed us to memorize the elements in sequence, as the quizzes would be on elements 1-18 or 1-36. One of my students told that she annoyed her family all weekend by singing the periodic table song. All you need to do is type "Periodic Table Song" into the search engine and  thousands  lots of videos pop up.

I'm also a big fan of khan academy videos. I've recommended them to my tutoring students and to students who have missed classes, while I have been out student teaching. I really like having kids use the modules to catch up. It saves me time and makes the kid more self-sufficient. I always tell them to check out the video and then make sure they come and see me if they have any questions. One of my students missed the last day of content before a test and score over 80 (which was on par for him) by using the video to supplement his learning.

BIG fan of Khan Academy. You can sign up and use their website: Khan Academy. Or you can find many Khan Academy tutorials on YouTube.

No comments:

Post a Comment